A German soldier is being prevented from leaving Turkey for unknown reasons, the German Foreign Office confirmed on Thursday, according to Deutsche Welle.
Turkish authorities are requiring the 21-year-old man to check in with the police once a week until further notice.
Germany’s embassy in Turkey said it had been in contact with the soldier, adding that Turkey had not given any “political” reasons for his arrest.
The soldier is currently stationed at Stadtallendorf in the central German state Hesse. He had traveled to Istanbul privately and was not the subject of any travel ban in Turkey, the German Oberhessische Presse newspaper reported.
The incident comes a month after the arrest of 36-year-old Osman B., who is also from Hesse.
According to two German public broadcasters and the Süddeutscher Zeitungdaily, Osman B. has been accused of spreading “terrorist propaganda” on his Facebook page.
If convicted, he could be imprisoned for several years.
The German Foreign Office said Wednesday that a 43-year-old German man has also been barred from leaving Turkey.
He had performed as a musician for an association that the Turkish authorities accuse of supporting terrorism.
In response to the flurry of arrests, the German Foreign Office has updated its travel guidelines, warning tourists to be mindful of what they have posted or liked on social media prior to traveling to Turkey.
Source: Turkish Minute